Sunday, March 19, 2006

My Dorothy Parker



SHE has that sense of humor I appreciate most: honest, moody, off the beam, fast, and sometimes so damn ferocious you'll find yourself bent over in a black knot of laughter.

Then there's occasionally this accidental girlish slip and you can't help teasing her when that happens.
___
Loves Bix Beiderbecke, as you can see.

Women who pose with tombstones. What can you say? (No really, tell me.)

SHE was my boss in the Childrens' section at a bookstore (where we finally , finally met, thank you lord). We have long discussions about Parker and Thurber, Chuck Jones (and what he did to Tom and Jerry. I haven't forgiven him.) Warner Brothers vs. Disney.

She's a youngster but she never liked Scooby Doo, so I gave her a pass on that. She knows the muppets better than me, which I appreciate. It's good to have younger friends.

I could write a lot more and risk a knuckle sammyrich (she'd have to drive down from Iowa, though). Her strange fascination with Nascar. NO! NO nonononono. I meant FORMULA 1 racing.

Nascar...you could go on and on how stupid Nascar is.

Ah, me. I forgot about this picture. Drat her anyway for making me love her and then getting married. All right, drunks don't make the best husbands, true enough...

"arise, sirloin of beef
arise duke of ellington
quarter of ten
milk of magnesia "

She's got everything she needs, music wise.
She's a shuffle girl:

"I just love my music, I know what i love

and my moods change

so, hank begets blondie
blondie begets benny goodman
benny begets keane
keane moves to the yardbirds
the yardbirds peck at squeeze
and squeeze pokes the bear that is abba
abba does a folk dance over to split enz
who converge upon mendelssohn
because we aren't animals."

"its my music"
__
She is being a great help to me in my 'recovery', even though hundreds of miles seperate us. And lord knows she has her own travails.

So, I include a little love-tribute here.

BTW, don't knock "chat" between old friends. (We do prefer to call them 'conversations', though. That's just what they are.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home