Thursday, March 23, 2006

"We tell what we were like"



I moved to Colobocomo to get drunk and stay drunk. There was some money in the bank, just enough for me to live like a rich man for a few months. Well dressed, not working, living downtown in a fairly clean, well furnished media crib. I didn't have to drive anywhere. I hoped to get laid but staying drunk was a prerequisite just leaving the house, so I wasn't attractive. Or even cheerful and outgoing most of the time, it turned out.

When I arrived I knew Ma and Pa Kettle and the kids, and I had one other good friend. She disapproved more strongly, and quite naturally, that I was living as if preparing to die. I had no plans. Everyone disapproved, of course, in their own way. ...

Up t' town is just the right size for me and has all the stores, pubs, theatres, shops, and coffee houses I'd ever care to visit. It was adjacent to the campus too, so at times the sidewalks were as crowded as a subway metropolis.

I had the same walk every night, to the same four or five taverns. Two of them were owned by women my age, "Miss Kittys" I called them, I hoped to marry. But I couldn't keep their frakin names straight. Always calling Debra Cindy, and Cindy Debra. They looked alike. They looked good. And they were friendly...so nice really! Hm. I'd marry one of them and help out.

Then there was one bar where I didn't like anyone. I still went, usually my last stop. Open the door and walk into a wall of noise that filled me with hatred. I don't know why, but I kept going. The girls were pretty, and drunk, and possible. The bar owner was a town character, a reconteur from New Jersy, and he helped me get to know the two Miss Kittys.

There wasn't always a Death Metal band playing when I walked in there. Sometimes it was nice and quiet. Or, the band would be tuning up and I'd be bracing myself, angry that whatever conversation I was having would be impossible soon.

They'd start to play and I'd flip them the bird. Make ugly faces, mouth the words "Fuck you. FUCK you. You. Fuck ya") It was past midnight usually.



This fellow, the bouncer, ejected me once for answering a challenge to a fight.
(You do bounce, you know. You're drunk and all relaxed and it's like how inebriates survive car-wrecks where six sober people die.) I believe he was very surprised at me that night, late in my game, when I stopped dressing so good and tipping so well.

The math gave me until October, and then I told myself I'd get a job, if it came to that. But I was in no shape for a job. ...

Thanks for visiting. Much less of this, later.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Hey, I promised I would leave a comment, so here it is...eh, nice haircut! What do you want? I just got back from work.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

yer sposed to compliment the writing and the hat, dammit. We discussed this days ago and I was quite clear and you were wide awake.
____
Three day silent treatment.
__
Sentence suspended.

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in awe of your writing,,your internet doc.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

That's not quite what I asked YOU to write, either. But thanks, doc. I know you've taken an oath to do no harm, and it probably wouldn't be good to over praise me at this stage.

I'm kidding you both of course.

two angels. gee.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Cripes, sorry....uh...uh...brilliant writing, as always! I have always admired your style. And the hat; the hat! What a glorious hat! I want one! Okay, I have to go to work now, but hopefully we shall have a conversation when I get home. Okay? Okay!

6:06 AM  
Blogger Jackson said...

You're the boss! : - D

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As noted a few days ago I much prefer your writings sober. When I read you now I am interested in your perception of our town. During your drunken phase I abhored your style because it wasn't your style. Good Job JJ.

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Frannie.

good seeing you at the artisan, I enjoyed our visit.

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frae' is absolutely right - your style is back, and it's so good to read it again. Well done, darlin'.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home