Monday, April 24, 2006

We'll Stonewall (plus a stand-up routine for you)

People were nice to me at work today. Usually they're a sullen, eye-darting, almost snobbish set. Even on Friday afternoons, they are. But today, I was addressed by my name. Someone also waved hello from across the plant (I turned around, there was no one behind me so I nodded hello and smiled). The only eye-darter was Tubby, the guy who cussed me out yesterday, and I really was hoping to make eye-contact with him. And give a tough, short little snort of a laugh as I passed.

My insides don't behave at all sometimes. Call down the living I AM, or His Son, to rebuke these demons. The bastards.

On the outside I was good, and reaped some benefits of apparent serenity. I kept my morning prayers in mind. Third full shift at work and it turns out I am working eight days in a row BUT most of them are half days where I just drop in and it's like I'm on my way somewhere else. I sleep in tomorrow (which probably means I wake up when the alarm would have gone off anyway, but that's good to see the sunrise sober).

No news to share. Moise' myspace page has a list of her friends, with pictures, and I recognized the Prior's girlfriend (who is a deputy sheriff, age 25, and has the voice of a shy 17 year old). I'm thinking now it was a mistake to write her and send her a "friend" invitation. You don't want the Prior yelling "HEY ABBOT!!!!". Nor do you want the President investigating his own chief of staff.

I'm thinking deny deny deny. And hubba hubba.

Am I really sober??? Sometimes I wonder.
____________________


Abbott and Costello Meet Windows98

Costello: Hey, Abbott!
Abbot: Yes, Lou?
Costello: I just got my first computer.
Abbot: That's great Lou. What did you get?
Costello: A Pentium II-333, with 64 Megs of RAM, a 6 Gig hard drive, and a
32X CD-ROM.
Abbot: That's terrific, Lou.
Costello: But I don't know what any of it means!!
Abbot: You will in time.
Costello: That's exactly why I am here to see you.
Abbot: Oh?
Costello: I heard that you are a real computer expert.
Abbot: Well, I don't know-
Costello: Yes-sir-ee. You know your stuff. And you're going to train me.
Abbot: Really?
Costello: Uh huh. And I am here for my first lesson.
Abbot: O.K. Lou. What do you want to know?
Costello: I am having no problem turning it on, but I heard that you should
be very careful how you turn it off.
Abbot: That's true.
Costello: So, here I am working on my new computer and I want to turn it
off. What do I do?
Abbot: Well, first you press the Start button, and then-
_________

It goes on from there, of course, but I'll spare you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jackson said...

You're still sore because I said I was going to stab your eyes out. Get over it, j-j-jm.

16 years on the featurless plains: that's a good reason to go back and stay!

grumble mumble grumble

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home