Wednesday, August 01, 2007

What would Anonydoc say?

Via Mr. Kurp at Anecdotal Evidence, here is a quote from the ever more admired doctor/ essayist known as Theodore Dalrymple.

“Thanks to the fact that I write, my life is satisfactory: I can inhabit gloom and live in joy. When something unpleasant happens to me, provided only that is potentially of literary use, my first thought is ‘How best can I describe this?’ I thereby distance myself from my own displeasure or irritation. As I tell my patients, much to their surprise — for it is not a fashionable view — it is far more important to be able to lose yourself than to find yourself.”

-"Reasons To Be Cheerful"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm,,wonder why the good Dr opined on this. Bet his patients just loved the way he told them to get over themselves. Or maybe he went on a bender and preferred to write about rather than go to a meeting. Or maybe his wife wanted to talk about their misery and he responded this way.

And who in heck is he to advise his patients in this way? He knows what is "best" for them.

I don't like the good Doc. And I drive over his road every day, Dalrymple Drive and it is crowded, bumpy, and only two lanes. Hmmph!

And don't think I don't know what your point is.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Jackson said...

It reminds me of Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search For Meaning". How he learned to float above himself in terrible situations, and observe objectively. He believed man always has the freedom to choose his attitude under any circumstances.

No, except for that quote,(yes, meant to provoke you all right all right) you'd like Dalrymple. He's tough and so are you. Read that whole article, it's grimly funny in ways.

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew it,,you are provoking me!

Of course the old guy has a point. I however think terrible situations of one's own making deserve more than floating above or writing about.

But I am trying not to resume my hectoring tone so I will cease and desist.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Jackson said...

here's a peace offering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SflfBzKBC1A

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home