Friday, May 02, 2008

Defining Quiet Down

There are six librarians and myself all separated by cubicle walls, busy at our computers, sometimes instant messaging one another with questions. It is so peaceful, my work-place is damn near inviting, like a study.

Yet today when a new Other-Island arrived and there were introductions, one of the women said "Oh let's not forget John. He's the quiet one".

Then we all came out to the center of the room and there was one dude I'd never seen before. It was such a surprise I almost challenged him.

Who are you.
Hey, who's this caught out of night here, I don't like sudden living surprises.
Hey, he doesn't even cough, isn't he a smoker, I thought we all were smokers here, dammit.

Maybe they've decided I'm quiet because they sense I'm full of speech and I'm a man who is apt to get drunk someday. Maybe the truth is obvious. Because you know, at my age... The facial lines... Biography!

But how can I be described as 'quiet' here, of all places? I'd hate to think what else the lines say. Some of it isn't true, which is why I spend a bundle on philosophers and poets, in hopes of restoring my original project in life and having it appear in my eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home