Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Take It On Down



I've been making myself at home around the plant since Sunday, walking around with my Telephoney camera, and some ready-made tall-tales in case some union man surprises me with "hooo 'r yu and whut yu doon here may I ask if you don't mind".

Easy. Turn the tables.

"I'm on the video phone, Mister, what's it look like? You mind if I have some privacy here? Thanks."

Or, the always reliable "I was up here looking for you! They want you downstairs, quick."

Anyway, that above is a Telephone shot of an area of the plant where I've never set foot. And those are heavy cylinders of paper we keep in reserve, in case a shipment fails to arrive. You wouldn't want us running out of paper at the newspaper. Think of it:


The Daily Slab.

You never see the cylinders brought in, you never see them taken out or moved.

So I relax. Because I can feel safe and sure that as long as no one attempts to move them, I won't look up one day and see one on its side rolling towards our crew.

I love the timeless qualities of certain factories and warehouses I've visted.
(It almost looks like it was did in 1910, doesn't it?)



____

Otherways, my day was an Eagle Scout's. I drove a friend to counseling. I gave a small talk about the fatal glass of beer, in an A.A. meeting. (So true. And so hyperbolic, too! It's strange.) Computer lessons for The President. Advised my sponsor on one of his political/moral conundrums. Was nice to some people I STILL don't like. On and on, without effort, even without good intentions sometimes, I was good somehow. One or two slips being mean to loved ones. Letter of sincere apology. I felt bad, and thank goodness this time I knew why.

I didn't 13-step today, either. That's not much of a problem in the last month or so, after that embarrasing incident during a meeting when I passed a note to a woman who, it turned out, couldn't read. (And her friend didn't buy it when I pointed at my ears, signalling myself deaf-mute).

There are women at work, after all.
____
"Take it on down,
Begin to grow..."

-Dylan ("Tell 'Em Tiny Montgomery Says Hello")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home