Wednesday, April 26, 2006

ether swoon

Worked seven to noon today. Timing was perfect as I took the Prior's advice (against my own will, sort of. The opportunity was just THERE. What to do? Why not?) and drew my line in the sand and then "re-introduced" myself to Tubby.

It went as predicted. Very well. And then it just so happened that an hour later I had to be stuck with the guy, working on a machine I've only seen once before, so I needed him.

Noon meeting, etc. Ortha, the man so concerned about his sexual problems, elaborated today. First that he was sorry he'd missed so many meetings. (Oh? Welcome back.) But it was like this, he found himself with three girlfriends. "And I just wasn't working my program!" Now he had broken it off with them all, good man.

That's funny. He gets too much while I don't get any. Not laugh out loud funny, just funny.

And then there wasn't much to the day, except I started a blog at myspace after the Prior's girlfriend accepted me into her network. Writing for one, while pretending to be writing for a general audience: that's a crazy arsed investment in time and energy. No? And this girl (a deputy sheriff, I wasn't kidding about that) wrote in her very brief email to me that she wrote her dissertation on Prufrock.

I should know by now that I don't want a relationship with an English major. I'm much more interested in the women of law enforcement. At least they have their own stories.

She suggested I go leave a comment on the Prior's page. I'm not sure why. Maybe so I could see how many robot-girls he's accepted as "friends" in his network. It is funny, all their spam comments with links to pron sites. Evidently for a few days, he thought these SuperModels were for reals. Or maybe it is his sense of humor.

Do I sound like I'm sober? Again. I doubt it more and more. In the tenth month of sobriety, it appears I've peeled away to a section of the brain that's gotta lotta noive, ya know? That's one thing that probably IS always true about early recovery from this "luxury disease": you go through phases like a ...like a ...well anyway you go through phases, and it's interesting, scary or not.

She's stopped coming over. I told the Prior, or rather I , eh, made it clear, or, joked that I thought this Prufrock deputy was some sort of angel. I think I put my fist to my chest then , too, so he got the idea and grinned like good luck keeping up with her dude and watch for the tazer...

I'm just nosing around in the ether. No harm done.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Oh, we are not so bad, Jackson. English majors are just people who can't do math and who are smart enough to know that English is a little better than, say, Sociology. Oh how I hate Sociology; it is such a pretend science.

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But WHY do I feel like a patient etherized on a table? Too many English majors, that's why.

Actually I still want to date a theater major. Date and marry and have an extroverted kid.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Jackson said...

(that was me, above, of course)
Mimi,
James Lileks has a paragraph about old men today, I thought you'd like.

"There's simply something sad about old men in sneakers and nylon sweatpants. When you hit that age you ought to wear a jacket and a tie and a sweater vest and a porkpie hat and sit in the corner, nodding knowingly, sipping cappucino, waiting for someone to come by and pay respects. And if they don't? Kids today. Whaddya gonna do."

except for the sipping cappucino part, I think James got it just right. (note: porkpie hat,haha)

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home