Sunday, October 15, 2006

Hyperlinking Sunday

GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting

Newspaper comic strip fans will enjoy the "Comics Curmudgeon" for snarky commentary on many of your favorite and least favorite strips. The writer has the sensibilities of Stereo Lab Rat, and can you imagine Stereolabrat taking on "For Better Or For Worse"???

Laff riot, let me tell you. And there is a great, active comments section of like minded nihilists. (I don't mind nihilists outside of politics and real life. I love 'em when they're let loose as art and restuarant critics though. The meaner the better.)

I stopped reading the comics when I got online in '98, so I've mostly lost track of FBOW. Elizabeth "Lizard Breath" is apparently quite a flaky girl with no direction in life, and her old high school flame, the pustuled and bespectacled Anthony, is back wearing a mustache. He looks 70 years old and they call him "Granthony" at C.C. The current story line is, as you will see, creepy indeed, as Granthony is trying to rekindle the adolescent romance of ten years ago (comic strip time).

Also there is the baffling Mary Worth story line, you can follow better with the Curmudgeons' help. Apparently an "intervention" with an alcoholic went way WAY wrong for the meddler. (Poor fellows DEAD! Way to go MARY!!)

This is going to be a daily read for me. In fact I'm starting in the archives.
____
Meanwhile, as I consider rolling backwards in life and trying for a bookseller job, I've been exploring some literary blogs, some of them written by booksellers. ("Bookseller Chick", yes that's a start for me.)

Also, I like this fellow for his little essay about Emerson.

This bookseller 'nerd' writes "I work at an independent bookstore in New York City's SoHo neighborhood. Someday I will have a bookstore of my own in Brooklyn."

*sigh*

It's been ten years since I worked at Borders. That ended a ten year "career", so far the best years of my life probably. So many co-workers I remember for their sometimes endearing eccentricities. Some of those who rose to the top of my heart charts, I actually managed to befriend. (Don't know how I do this. In other areas of life, people don't realize or care much if they realize you genuinely admire them. Well, they were all artists, in a sense, and artists need to be loved don't they, most of them.)

Swear, after all these years, I could write a list of 40 names here from three stores where I worked. I don't remember people from any other area of my life, not even school.

(well that makes sense, i didn't really ever go to school)

I can work on an assembly line in a loud factory, I can be a programmer, or I can work in a Borders or Barnes and Noble.

Need a new dream, now, a year and a half sober.

Maybe a reporter. No, a TV cameraman, following a local TV reporter (female) around. That would make a blog. Not a life, maybe, but a blog.

1 Comments:

Blogger chopready said...

Hey! Dig it, how 'bout wage earning blog writer? Whatever the wage, keep the page. Glory be, the dream awake!

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home