Sunday, December 17, 2006

Sunday's Diner menu and a movie

Lileks is campaigning, mysteriously, to win this Web-log of the year award. I remember a few years ago The Washington Post conceded him the honor, rightfully so. This self-promotion is mysterious!

If James Lileks misses a Bleat, I come close to emailing a complaint sometimes (and lately about his small allotment of monthly bandwidth neccesary for "The Diner" podcast. Put the old tip jar out, Sir!)

Anyway, I post the link above just so you can check out the competition. They must be pretty special to be up against The Institute of Official Cheer.

I haven't heard of any of these people except for Sully and Grenwald (maybe Lileks is showing some uncharacteristic hostility towards them. Two dishonest, tiresome men. Maybe it's all an inside joke.)

Voting ends tomorrow. Say "meh".
_____
That's the menu, this Sunday. You check out the Weblog nominees, then, and I don't have to read 'em. Sorry but I haven't had the usual spare time for my Sunday links post.

But this you must see!



This is by far my favorite W.C. Field's short, simply because of one jaw dropping pool shot. (He was famous first as a juggler, you know, so it figures he was a pool sharp.)

(Pool sharp? Do I mean Pool Shark?? People have been mumbling all my life.)

The entire play (five minutes) ("I feel as though the Russian army had been walking over my tongue in their stocking feet all night") is simply a short story told by the Sheriff, "Honest John" as he prepares for this magnificient shot (which must have given him a terrific headache, perhaps a skull fracture.)

Sometimes humor is just in complete , utter surprise. As you'll see...

If the film breaks or the sound skips you can visit here, and think "well, this is worth starting over".

Thanks for visiting and I hope you are glad you did.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rex said...

Great post. You made a good reference to the traditions and how important they especially the last three.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Trudging said...

Good post buddy

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home