Friday, November 24, 2006

"She's Back East. Visiting Family." (Thanksgiving at the Kettles)

This Thanksgiving the Kettle kin group wasn't quite complete, without A.C. and Emmy (oldest of the Kettle Kids, got thier own spin off shows now), and Renee and Rio, out East.

Pa Kettle is in charge of morale and he keeps it steady and high, like he's flying a box kite.

With this scarcity of women-folk, I almost didn't wanna come. Come to think of it, that made it all the more family-like, not wanting to be there, then being glad after all.

Za did most of the cooking.
GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting

We waited for her. Look at that bird. Look at that bird. Yeah!
GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting

Of course she was the last to sit down. Or, let us say she was, anyway. She isn't completely in charge yet.
GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting

We all had to say what we were grateful for. Then we argued a bit who came up with the best answer.

I started to mumble something about indoor plumbing and Pa took it away "Yeah, good one, Johnny, the age we live in!"

There's something about eating Thanksgiving at a table for 15, even if half the familys gone, you eat fast ...you know, just in case. And there's no rule about elbows on the table since everyone keeps their arms around their plate.

Then Pa says don't eat so fast. Wolfs not at the door.

After dinner I went out for a smoke. Aubrey came along and I asked how old are you now? He's eight. So I lit one up for him too. He asked if he could tell afterwards and I said "No, don't tell for five or ten years." He looked so disappointed, I do believe he'll try to keep his word. Aubrey is a remarkable character, the youngest and smallest, with surprising, admirable physical courage and what strikes me (during my too rare visits) as great, studied, deliberate patience. Like he knows he'll prevail and can wait. Well, if he can't help telling --how can I expect him to really---, I'll just tell have to take whatevers coming to me. Or leave town. Of course I can always leave town I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home