Saturday, March 31, 2007

Various and Sunday


Spring seems early but it will frequently leave and stay out late. (Then you stay up waiting for her and wonder, why don't I worry like this when she's away at school?)

This morning I was on the phone to my mother and looking out the window. I exclaimed, "Mom, I just saw my first cardinal of Spring!"

"Oh, honey, " she didn't laugh but sounded amused, "cardinals don't go away for the winter."

I said, you're kidding me. I said, you never told me that before.
____
Iowa is fine. They have their weather which seems to travel longer distances than here. Everybody better get in the basement, you've got an hour and a half. Tornado in Des Moines, leaving with the Greyhound bus and coming right this way but you have time to finish your movie.

People don't see each other there much. Whole families in one city, run into a sib after midnight in the all night grocery, "Last time I talked to you , let's see, there was a big swim match coming up you were excited about. What was that?" Oh, that was last year. Say. Brother we may be getting old. How are my nephews?
___
Mom asked about work. My answer to friends is to boast that it's one of my most succesful, unsupervised runs ever, it may never close. So with Mom I have to catch myself up. I can't very well tell her it's hard, though. I'm usually speechless for a second and then I can't help myself from casually mentioning, again, for the 100th time, that I work "six days a week".

Well, that doesn't wash anymore. She doesn't say anything, but it's long enough now, I can join the real world probably without "slipping" and becoming a hopeless daily drunkard. (That sounds scarily appealing sometimes. Like on this day when I don't work, not when I do work.) A 40 hour week wouldn't kill me I suppose.

But it seems like it might since I hate this 30 hour week.
____
Meanwhile, I'm waiting for my pencil pal to come back from overseas...Last I heard from her, she was dining with a MOSAD agent (along with her husband) and he may have told her too much and was now tailing her around Glasgow. Or, so she hoped, since he was interesting to talk to, especially when confronted.

If I don't hear from her soon, I won't know what to think.

1 Comments:

Blogger Trudging said...

Growing up in Iowa, I spent a lot of time in the basement waiting out Tornados(-:

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home