Thursday, March 22, 2007

Like postcards

Anonydoc---I want to say my Anonydoc, since I feel possessive---is overseas for a fortnight. In London this week, she has telegraphed daily in an effort that I might fathom it all. L'il Nell is indeed dead, for instance, Fleet street turns out no news but only what her concierge calls "shocking stories"( he will only give her The Times or Telegraph, although she protested, saying something like, "but I am American and love trash!").

She and her husband have had tea at Fortume and Mason's. They have seen the Queen leaving Buckingham Palace, (Anony's husband may have tried to get a picture, but Anony loathes cameras because you are always having to stop life to take a picture.) (So I doubt he got a shot.)

At the National Gallery she saw Sunflowers and "one of those chairs in that room in your print,,the one at the asylum". (I wonder what she means? Did he do a study on the chairs by themselves?)

She has strolled over Isaac Newton ("among others", she says. I presume she means "along with other tourists", not that she's trampling the graves of other exemplars for the Ages.)

Anyway, here I am holding back, wanting to ask what television is like there. Ever since I was a kid, when I go somewhere new I want to see what the local news set looks like, and the station's logo, etc. "What cartoons do they have?")

The picture above is of the Grosvenor Hotel, where I stayed with my parents on our trip in 1978. Anony says she is looking for it.

I should be following her on Google Earth!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so flattered!

I indeed walked on Sir Isaac along with Winston Churchill although he was not really there. And touched Handel on the floor, coudn't walk on him. ANd touched Chaucer. I love all those crypts.

Have not watched tv, and our place here has no tv,nobody seems to care much. But with all th uphill and downhill walking, why would they. They just wanta live.

I am mildly homesick. Mostly for flat earth.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home