Tuesday, May 02, 2006

And in this corner...

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com


I don't know much about Chance yet, except he's very easy going, sometimes talkative in a happy/sharing way like kids have at camp and, unfortunately, he's quite deaf, to the point of reading lips. Hearing aids will help, when he cares to get some. Hopefully that will be soon, since he isn't able to follow us in our weekly house meetings.

Chance likes history (reads my old 1940's Life magazines), and then the rest of the stuff normal guys do, like cars and video games. He was a simple beer-hound like myself, I believe.

He must be ten years younger than me at least since he knows video games. He says this is an X-box (?). He bought it today, and has to play it on my little tv. Says, "Hey, this isn't so bad, you get used to it." He's used to big screens.

Chance was at Daybreak during my last three weeks while I was under house arrest, carrying on with Dora (my stalker now), stoned on Seroquil, etc. I had a list of misdeamors a mile long, plus one day I was accused of trying to bribe a staff member (a slow girl who couldn't recognize an absurd, off hand joke).

Anyway, he remembers me, especially when they locked me out on that snowy day in December. It scared him, he says. He figured he'd better watch his step, as he watched me standing in the yard waiting for my things. (They wouldn't give me my things though, except for my sack full of pharmacueticals and two envelopes of cash, I'd had in their safe. I had to call the cops to get them to give me my clothes. Crazy institutional crazies...)

He told me the other day I looked so calm, out there. But see, I already had my spot here at Oxford. I would have already moved, but Daybreak officially kicked me out the week before, and I'd appealled the decision to some state agency (a fax forbidding them to put me out arrived at 5 p.m. Friday, in the nick of time). So I'd stayed, I explained to Chance now, just to be a prick, I guess. Plus, Oxford was a little scary to think about, and Daybreak was "co-ed" and comfortably entertaining. Especially after I'd foiled them. Heh.

My teenage months of sobriety. Before I got a sponsor even. Talking to Chance I get the idea that I was infamous for a few weeks. Perhaps....mmmmmm....a legend. For a few weeks.

OH, another thing. Chance has just started at my place of work, as a machine operator. He'll be in the press room, while I'm in the bindery. This is all a happy coincidence.

The sound effects and the narratives of this X-box, though. Can he hear them? They're going to bug me once my curiosity passes. Hm. Well, my patience needs some practice I think, since it's so rarely needed. (really---not many small irritations in my life)
___
In other news, today for some reason I was about to call in sick, but the brethren and Moise all started mocking and shouting and I went what the hell all right, I'd just feel guilty sitting here all day anyway. So I went, and it turned out to be the day of my six month review, and I got a pretty nice hourly raise.

Still waiting on word from the paper's I.T. department. ...

Thanks for visiting! Have a good day and a pleasent tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger Trudging said...

I have been kicked out of a lot of halfway house type places too. Must be and Iowa thing. Or a drunk thing or maybe a drunk Iowan thing.

5:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You Iowans!!

In Louisiana we don't kick anyone out no matter how drunk, unless they are from Iowa.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Jackson said...

I'm still of a mind to tear that kip down. Like I've mentioned before, only three of us have "survived", out of nearly 50 people over five months.

Besides. I like to threaten to tear kips down.

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home