Monday, October 16, 2006

Our baffeling, cunning, powerful inversions

GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting
We interviewed for a new housemate again Sunday, three weekends in a row now. Thankfully our finances are good for awhile, but we need to get the other half of my "suite" rented.

Now we've agreed to take in a youngster we kicked out last year.

His interview was not bizzare. I just love my housemates, whom I now refer to simply as "Modern Man".

In the last year this fellow has been mostly drunk. (Honesty! they note.) He told us that when we kicked him out last October, he actually wanted us to, and he'd been smoking pot all that time anyway. (Very, very honest! Ten points!) Now he wants structure. (I almost piped up there.)

Last month he wrecked his girlfriends car and then tried to strangle her when she got mad. This landed him in jail for two weeks (He's hit bottom! He's coming clean about all this too! Obviously his chances of recovery are better than ever!)

Another fellow showed up. He'd had a year and a half sobriety from 2001 to 2003, and was in trouble with the law now, for the first time. Pled guilty to domestic assault and for cruelty to animals (he killed a pit-bull, somehow) He's now in a treatment house.

He is older, has had a salaried career in upper management before getting hooked on crack during his head-long fall. He'll have to see a P.O., who will regularly test him for drugs. (Not true of our former housemate, at least not yet).
___
Shouldn't it be obvious to an addict when another addict is conning you? You can't con a con, they say, but you can fool a fool, can't you.

So, he was honest! Any addict knows to throw in a little shameful confession to show his humility, and explain his new outlook on life.

They voted our previously evicted back into the house. I raised my hand last, after grumbling that everyone seemed to have their credit and debit columns switched.

At least he won't have his pit bull this time (it was stolen, not killed.)

God forgive me, I hate man-killer dogs. And often find that I dislike the people who own them.

Ha! I just rewrote that so mildly.
_____
I think it's cowardly not wanting a stranger in the house and preferring the known asshat to the unknown asshat(and yet they wanted a stranger last week , who was on the S.O. list! go figure!)

Possibly last night was just automatic contrariness, which sets in whenever I voice my opinion. I am the resident jerk when I materialize.
________
UPDATE: maybe the problem is with me. Thanks for the comments.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jackson said...

i'm anger! join me in my angry!

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JOhn, you will never get the perfect roommate you really don't want anyway,,a private suite is so much better than a roommate.

Fess up.

In Boston, yr srvnt!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

A working vacation, I see.

ok, the latent effect is that I have the suite to myself. I like that. But the manifest project here is to

oh hell all right
all right
all right

8:44 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

Mrs. Trudge,
seriously, I've thought it over and I think he does belong here. There is structure, we are all of us working the steps, in contact with our sponsors, etc. His getting "worse" is reason to help. So, maybe I'm the one who is 'inverted'.

plus i have to admit to a prejudice against the young. He's only 23. Young people get on my nerves. So I'm being selfish.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home