Sunday, November 12, 2006

Sidebar Attractions

I've now included The Silent Penultimate Panel Watch. Along with The Comic Curmudgeon I think this constitutes the Funnies here.

The Silent Penultimate Panel Watch is ostensibly a complaint about "the use of the silent second-to-last panel" for comic timing in the strips. Sample:


GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting



GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting



All very important to understand! Myself, I think most of the silent panels work. What's nice is the humorous commentary in each of these blogs, and hey, we can read the funnies together. (At Comics Curmudgeon, half the fun is reading the +100 comments for each post.)

I like this 1959 Sunday Peanuts (the blogger notes is a "a curious reverse of the formula".)

But note something very alarming (if the Schultz estate is going to continue reprints).

I may be wrong but has some modern soul 'helpfully' written a sort of, what would you call it --- 'Emo Balloon'?--- in the fourth panel to explain Lucy's motivation?


(click to enlarge)
GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting



I may be wrong. Maybe Schultz had that in the original strip. BUT I THINK NOT. And I'm in some purist bad mood, by the way, after watching a DVD of ancient B/W Dragnet episodes last night, where-in the opening theme music has been replaced by some college student's experimental score.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home