Thursday, December 21, 2006

Tie clip cam again


My crew is taking a smoke break while I'm doing returns and I decide to join Teddi and Francina and the men who's names I will never commit to memory. Oh and Becky, the new forklift driver! Becky Braendlingerer. I love that name. Becky, I mean. It' s a girl next door name, you know? (And to paraphrase the modern times bard, her lovliness wounds me. )

What the devil, look over there. Twenty men are gathered around a hole. They're all passive, with their hands in their pockets against the cold, and their heads bowed. Is it a ...funeral? Some of the ex-cons who have worked at the Herald, twenty years after parole, tend to be very sentimental about the place and get misty eyed when we have pep rallies.
_______
Francina, she's smart because she's 60 and has lived in foreign lands. They must be teaching a class, she says.

forehead smack. I am so slow sometimes, still. A year and a half without a drink, they keep telling me at AA to come back...

Teddi says go take a picture, John. There are so many of them, no one will object.
Interesting shot if this is found a million years from now by a race of humans who think they were created two thousand years ago. What I wanted was to get all the bill caps, because I remember seeing a photo from the 20's once with hundreds of men in a crowd all wearing identical straw hats. The bill-cap (Francina calls them "give-away caps") is today's straw hat, or field hat I guess. I think Stereolabrat meant these when she wrote her famous harrange against "trucker hats" appearing among the hip in New York City. That was in 2003 and by golly I think she put a stop to it. (oh, you must become familiar with Stereolabrat...She and Lileks are opposites and equally amazing and LOL funny. one, a foul mouthed korean girl in NYC, the other a stay at home, presbyrtarian dad in Minnesota).

thanks for the visit. just had these spare photos was all.



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't keep us in suspense! What were they standing around doing?Was it a body?

6:40 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Yeah, Jackson...what was it??? You leave us in suspenders and it isn't right.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

You two! The subject of the post is bill caps. You're supposed to weigh in on that, and maybe stereolabrat...

ok, it was services for one of the old presse men. We had one of those giant two-ton paper cylanders topple and go on a roll and well, you can imagine.

Old Screw-Loose Lou loved his job so they figured it'd be a good resting place for him.

keep this quiet btw.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you aren't serious, surely?

3:06 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

I'm absolutely serious you should keep this quiet, yes of course! You can't just bury a man in the parking lot. What's wrong with you?

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home