Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Shoving off (1993 blog or letter)

:-]

:-[

:-]

:-[

:-]

:-[

Speed readers (you know who you are) note the headline here is from 1993 :

Say! I've lost me freak-out job this afternoon.

It was swift.

A project went wrong this morning, in a way that I was not mentally equipped to understand at first. It was out of the blue, and happened after I'd spent some wonderful moments feeling competent.

After the disastor, this is how I attempted to save myself, in an email :

"I'll try to explain this now. It's taken me awhile to understand it.

First, since December's job was run twice, of course the new generation

became the 0 generation, and so the recorded payments were

accumulated twice in the second (+1) generation. This wouldn't have

happened if, upon restarting the BRPRH0PR step, we delete the GDS that has

just been created. I'll have that added to the comments in the production

JCL for this step.

"Then, looking back, we discovered that during the October abends, the GDS

had, of course, been distorted each time that BRPRH0PR

was rerun.

"I've done a file compare of the two December files and of course they are

different. (I understand now that there is a new backup tape created each

time we run the job. I found the vol=ser I wanted, and know how to

restore the file I want. So that's something else I've learned today,

thanks Ryan.)

"Angie, I can recopy my September month end file to the GDS and start over

again. I guess the hard part is breaking the news to the user. I'll make

the phone call if you want. Let me know.

"I apologize for the mess."

___

What I wanted to do was show that I understood my mistakes, at least.

Unfortunately, to do that, I had to reveal that I'd still been so ignorant.

It was the final straw, and I think the disaster was probably not very important, since the due date is still a week away, and I could have finished.

___

I've written some friends that I am not sure how I feel, but that whe

n I got home an hour ago, I caught myself in the mirror and involuntarily went 'weeeee'. And grinned at myself.

Disastor? Possibly.

But I am so childish, for the moment I feel like turning on some music and making like Fred Astair.

(Note: that picture is not of me. I found it by googling images for "grinning fool". And yes was much relieved not to find an actual picture of myself. Yeah, yeah..)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am confused. THis was an old blog of yours? And are you grinning and happy now?

6:52 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

it was a stressful job and eh, I was done in , just done in. Didn't want to lose the job, I thought, was desperate to keep it , i thought. Would have been best if i wasn't a drunk at the time.

i'd end up collecting unemployment benefits that made my eyes go $$ just like my regular salary.

It's a long time ago now and as usual, you end up happy for certain disasters because without them , other very good things could not have occured. If I hadn't been fired, you know, I'd still be in Iowa . And I'm very very glad I moved here and credit my sobriety in part with living here..

7:10 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

huh! just realized this is 2003, not 1993!

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home