Tuesday, June 06, 2006

oddity oddity oddity (and how nice it is here)

Not much of note, today. K.B. comes in while I'm making coffee this morning, sees one plate, two bowls and about ten pieces of silverware in one of the sinks and takes them out and puts them underneath the sink. (You know, where you keep your cleaning agents, drano, etc.)

My eyes were still only half open. I've been wondering for months who among us does this, I suspected him but it's a surprise he's not furtive about it... Maybe he thinks that the proximity to the Comet and Joy lemony fresh will be friendly with the dishes. Maybe he sleep walks.

I didn't protest, really, but remarked that I've always known he is barking mad and beyond eccentric. Which is just like saying, "K.B., you're an interesting fellow." Right?

Have you ever shared a house with people not your family? I haven't, except at Daybreak (the other treatments don't count, they were in hospitals). I enjoy it, I really do.

This is a large house, there are no rules except sobriety and common sense, you can come and go as you please, disappear for days (well, that's bad form), have your girlfriend move in with you if she's not obviously lunatic.

Everyone can go off to their room and shut the door and not be disturbed (if you shut your door, that means don't even knock). Since I have the largest room and share it, I usually keep my door open, and it becomes the living room.

GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting

Brethren come in and flop on the couch, the puppy rushes in and out, some whack subjects are discussed.

Where am I going with this? I like it here.

And we didn't argue except for some pretty LOL cussing about the nature of Silverware Buildup: Who Is Responsible? (Who wants to wash one fork after they eat? let some silverware accumulate, big deal as long as it's rinsed and the sink isn't getting gross.)

Oh, and also it's cool that there is always a third or fourth party present and if there IS a real dispute, and someone is completely in the wrong, they'll tend to concede the point, while practicing some mis-direction , ie: "your mama". (Or whatever the modern equivilent is).

Anyway, we all know where the plate, the two bowls and the silverware are, and who ever needs them next will wash them so , no big deal. I'm just writing because there's a cigarette lit.

Oh, and that my sponsor Corvus says I have to leave and live on my own someday, did I tell you that?? I'm a hermit who has discovered maybe he's not a hermit.

But I'm not worried, I can stay ten years if I want, I suppose. It's up to me, anyway.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been good at living in groups, though it sounds like some of the rules you have established would have helped. The "don't even knock" if the door is closed rule is damn near genius.

I've lived with groups of strangers,friends, girlfriends, and relatives, and never had much luck.

Until I met and married Elly, I didn't think I would ever share a space with another human again.

Of course, I always went slightly mad when I lived by myself, so I guess the human interaction did me good even as it was driving me insane.

I remember once, when I lived in the "bat house" I wrote about some time ago, I brought a woman up to the apartment. She looked around at the windows covered with old gift wrap, suspiciously eyed the disturbing paintings, made note of all the empty vodka bottles and said, "You've lived alone far too long." I laughed, but then realized she was deadly serious.

Anyway, it sounds like you have a good deal here. I wouldn't let that sponsor get you out the door too early.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Trudging said...

I was never in an Oxford house but, I lived in "Transitional Housing," it was a trip!

3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home