Thursday, August 10, 2006

Book Shop

I've passed by here many times.
GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting

GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting
But never got to visit, you see, until yesterday. A Wednesday! Go figure.

And it is without a doubt the best used bookstore in town. Oh, the others are musty and overflowing and there are dusty books stacked in leaning towers from the old wood floors. But those (downtown and near campus) are where the students sell their texts and assigned novels. The most impressive one is really full of crap, and by that I mean "what are they shoveling these days!"

They say the owner is smart because he can find any title in those heaps, but that's because nothing sells. He IS smart, and prices his treasures accordingly. So, they sit, either unrecognized or just too expensive.

I like history books that were written nearer the time of the event. Contemporaneous History, I guess you'd call it. Like, say, a history of the Civil War written in 1869. Or, say, a book in Sacco and Vanzetti's defense, written while they were still sitting in jail.

But there's none of that at the used bookstores near campus. In the history section what you get is what you get is today's sophomore diet:
Polemical books categorized as "Colonial Studies"; supposed auto-biographies of slaves, newly discovered and waiting to be exposed as fraudulent; revisionist "peoples'" histories; fantastic literary art of the third world (Nobel Prize stuff, you can't help but suspect is sub-par); fraudulents titles already exposed but "meh!", such as "The Education Of Little Tree" or "I, Rigoberta Menchu", by the Nobel Peace Prize winning, LIAR, still being taught . And then hey, anything by Doris Kearns Goodwin unless it's about baseball.

But not so at little Adams', which is owned by the Adams family and across town from campus.

Yesterday I didn't get passed the cluttered entry-way before I'd already spent my money. My pooka girlfriend too, (who by the way will read anything, so I dropped a ten cent copy of Tom Jones in her basket. And a fan-novel "Girls Of The Radio" from the 1920's.)

I bought a couple facsimilies of Sears Robuck catalogs (forward by Cleveland Amory...remember him? Used to be the TV Guides tv critic, I think.) (yes. And cat lover.) Also a nifty 1962 paperback about the 1950's. It had a cover I recognized from childhood, and yet I'm certain my parents didn't have it (a part of a series).

Also, for literary popcorn, "Gangs of New York", a social history of the pre-civil war days I gather. (Haven't seen the movie, except for a few clips.)

This is all ridiculous though, I don't read books anymore unless I'm in the hospital or rehab. For eight years on the web, I've been completely engrossed with current events and history unfolding. It's all too amazing (and gripping and frightening) to turn away.

And there is "comtemporaneous" history on the web. Galore, and I'm not just talking Lileks' Pop Ephemera site. For instance there is
this wonderful collection of old Popular Mechanics covers and articles, going back to its earliest editions. ("Projector Makes Living Movies (Aug, 1939)!" )

Escape from contemporary events is on the web also.

So when will I ever read another book??

Sitting in my car waiting for someone to come out from a dr.'s (or more likely , probation officer's) appointment.

During a power outage.

On a bus trip. (As-If, again.)

If somehow I wake one morning and remember myself.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Careful what you say about third world literature, Jackson. Especially if you haven't bothered to read any.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

I have been dreaming about the South, Kentucky mostly. So, I have been reading books from the South. And it isn't "third world" anymore, Jackson. I think that part of the world is made up of "developing nations". Optimistic, aren't we?

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure but was the Soviet Union the "second world", and we (the U.S.) the "first" and everyone else the "third"?

You're right. Now the third world must be the second world. That's, eh, moving on up ...

Renee, my ignorant bigotry is based upon the informed bigotry of many respectable social commentators. Even an unrespectable ones, who writes for the Nation. (Guess who.)
;)

I have read 100 Years Of Solitude, and its litererary value is a secret to me. I'm suspicious whether his nobel prize wasn't in part due to his politics (pro Castro). And for god's sake, 2005's winner was Harold Pinter, who's a jihahdi sympathizer (wonder how he and Rushdie get along at cocktail parties).

Read Kenzaburo Oe...

But all right. You're fair. In fact, I avoid reading third world literature (but remember i'm not even reading English novels anymore, since i'm on the net.)

Would like to read Naipaul's travel books...

11:45 AM  
Blogger Jackson said...

btw, R, I was thinking of the Guatemalan writer Rigoberta Menchu, whose lying, dishonest autobiography "I, Rigoberta Menchu" is still being taught at universities. (Even the New York Times acknowleges the book is fraudulent and a hoax on the public.)

It's one of those "false but true" works, you know. Anyway, it turns out she won the Nobel Peace Prize, not for literature...

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

100 Years of Solitude, affectionately known as 10000 Years of Solitude in our house.

The south is a third world country. The Caribbean without the Charm according to my spouse.

And don't all South American novelists love Castro???

It's me Jackson, back from the miasma of learning, in the new life of posting. P

6:54 AM  
Blogger Jackson said...

oh but we're from Fly Over By Pass, anony, where our ancestors got tuckered out early and pretended to themselves they'd arrived. (Actually, that's ok, most of us are glad not to be over the Rockies, where you don't ever come back toward New York). There weren't even any trees, just tall grass, and you could see forever. See that you hadn't arrived anywhere! pikers.

Kentucky, Tennessee, the deep South east of Texas and west of Florida is very charming to us, esp. with all the darkies. (HAHA.kidding) You know what we're talking about. GWTW, Harper Lee, "Other Voices, Other Rooms", Tennessee Williams (I guess), As I Lay Dying. Oh, the Snopes are deeply fearsome here.

Florence King! (god bless her I hope she is well today).

Then these southern books Mimi reads, too, i've never heard of..

I don't know about your Gulf state, but Kentucky and Tennessee are just breathtakingly beautiful to the midwesterner. Deep green forests with the tall trees pressed close to the winding roads through the hills.
My mom is still heartsick to return to Nashville. She says there's so much "history there!" And she's right...

the South a third world country? Please, leave us some of our illusions. You're probably just wary of house-guests anyway...boring Iowans...
____
Anyway, I think it's funny how we romanticize your "sultry mossy atmosphere" and then you use a word like 'miasma' for work. Hehehe.

congrats, btw. Thanks for visiting.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home