Friday, August 04, 2006

Summer blasted off, some time back...

and I still feel confident it's forever. What's even better is that I could be wrong, and it may not bother me if... No, let's not even think of it. It's August 4th.

This time corresponds to the days when a kid gets so dumb from the heat and the summer fun, he's about to fall for the fleeting appeal of new school supplies. Such happy fools...If kids ruled the world, I bet you could take it back without them realizing.

want to go back to school? ok, you're the boss! New teacher, new classroom...
*mmmph*

For me, reborn into a sober world, this is the part of summer where the Watergate flows so powerful even a 12 year old can dig it. Wow, could the president resign in disgrace? Will he have a nervous breakdown on live TV? Or scold us for hounding him so much?

The V.P. has already resigned and we've had the novel experience of seeing a new vice president sworn in.

Going to catch the next parental shuttle to the old country club, play some tennis with Jimmy Powers or Bobby Crookham, then take a swim. Eat a Chuckwagon...how can they taste so good here but not so good at home??

New Spiderman coming out this week. Now, how on earth could Gwen be alive, what has she been cloned? What will M.J. say? And there's the business about the roommate going stark raving green goblin.

Today...Today is my allowance! Dad will try to win it back at cards of course but lately I'm more careful. I pay attention to his discards. I know what he's looking for.
_____
Long wait for the news carriers today.

GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting

Blazing bright. The paper doesn't come out on the belt until 1:30. (Our Town has both a morning and evening paper. The morning paper is a student paper, one of our major exports here being Journalism...)

GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting
Lots of cars, you see.

GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting


Someone spotted a SNAKE dropping from the bottom of an SUV. Needing to find an escape while in wholly-sheet mode, the creature swiftly sinuated into the wheel well of an economy junk heap. The woman owner danced and flapped her arms and finally let out a squeal.

Naturally, "hoopla ensued" (always credit J-Jm for that phrase). A tall Korean War vet stepped from the crowd and crawled underneath the car with a stick.

Don't let me mislead you that this story is going anywhere.

But I saw my opportunity to finally take pictures of people when they probably wouldn't be querulous. It was no matter to me to catch sight of the snake or take its picture.

Occured to me during one close up shot that I might get a shock if it suddenly emerged and say, went up my pant leg. That would be so wrong, when it could go up someone else's pant leg and I could get a blurry picture of the News That Became An Urban Legend.

GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting


GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting
That fellow is ornery to people, sometimes. I think he's the patriarch to most of the fatties, including one poor young fellow who appears to be his own grandpa...

So here are a few windows on my world while I'm off the assembly line and doing my store/rack returns job. Hanging out on the dock.

Memorable summer, maybe the best ever. Thanks for stopping by!

p.s. This Summer photo by Renee is so awesome I've set it as my wall paper. One of her's where you comprehend for a moment that photography is truly an art.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

School Supplies!!!

Having a wonderful dejavous,,I love school supplies.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

Not sure , it's R's photo and I haven't asked her yet...

I want to watch "State Fair" (1932). Again.

"our state fair is a great state fair..."

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you two school supply enthusiasts are Adult Learners. You don't understand.

...someone get me an eight year old to say "YEAH"

11:49 AM  
Blogger Old Fogey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home