Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Surface

GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting

In 1972 when Dad worked for Bishman Manufacturing Company he hauled around a sample Tire Changer, model 880, on a trailer. It was big and odd and beautiful.

In the covered pickup itself there were all sorts of wonderful new, invariably sky blue machines for service stations, with dials like these.

I played submarine from Friday early evening, when he got home, until Sunday when he left for another week of traveling salesmanship. I'd come out all sweaty, craving fresh fruit and vegetables.

It was always just one battle, I never won the war, probably due to my vanishing imagination around age 11.

Next, Dad became a C.B. radio wholesale representative. Whoa! Our car now had a two-way radio. I'd sit in the car from Friday until Sunday. Locals in Okapalaka fooled me that they were calling from Alaska. My handle was "Zonker", after the Doonsbury character.

Then the company he worked for expanded into consumer electronics in general, in 1976 I believe (around the time we moved to Capital City). So we all got stereos for birthdays or Christmas. But I liked to blast my music and was embarrassed how often I played certain songs over and over, so I sat in the car and played the stereo in it.

Then the company began to sell video games wholesale. And finally, VHS movies. We didn't think that would work, people buying movies. They'd rent them, sure. So for awhile the customers were all those budding Mom and Pop video stores. (We even started one ourselves, combined with a pizzeria. A disaster. Pa Kettle has a video interview with me somewhere, during this time. He'd keep panning over to where the fly by night pizzeria USED to be, as I talked and smoked a doobie.)

Sometime in this time line I managed to read books. Not sure how. And it's strange I never got into the video games, except for one three month period where I crippled my thumb to the point I couldn't open a car door. I think we're in the '80s now. Well, yes, certainly. And how much am I leaving out.

Focus here on something...

Then Dad went to work for Thorn/EMI, as a factory rep., and his job was to travel the eastern half of the U.S. and Canada showing movies to wholesalers. "First Blood" and "Amadeus" payed for my first years pretending to go to college. (AH! That's when I read, when I was supposed to be in class! I read and I drank and took a lot of drugs.) Thorn/EMI was then bought out by HBO.
_____
Man I don't know how I got started here...OH. That photo above. The dials. Just like the Bishman 800 Tire Changer.

I miss my submarine, that's all.

And, oh yeah, Dad too.

Geez, he had it going, really apace with the 70's and 80's especially. The next step was obviously home computers and the internet but he died in 1991. (He must have seen it all coming though, attending the annual Consumer Electronics Convention in Las Vegas every year.)

I don't know how I feel suddenly.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Hey, my daddy was a salesman too. He sold multigraph machines, then he went to work for the phone company. Ma Bell. Remember seeing the trucks with the bell symbol? Thursday will mark ten years that my daddy has been gone. *sigh*

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These last couple of posts remind me of why I befriended you in the first place. Great stuff.

I'll have to tell you the story of my father and his CB radios some day.

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*scowling*

sometimes when i think about my dad and what a great man he was i wish someone would contradict me so i could FIGHT!

'You dirty dog you , take that, and that and that!'

/scowling crazy fantasy

He was complex though.


LOL !

9:45 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

er, that was me


four comments!

_____
Mimi, we talk a lot about our dads don't we. Marvel at their lives and their absence...

Mark, thanks for visiting and yes tell me that CB story. I might have been in range of his signal at the same time, heh!

c.b.'s ...maybe another strike against the 70's. Channel 19 ...Say, I wonder if my computer can pick up local CB ! Surely it can, I'm sitting here listening to Israeli radio after all.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home