Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Sometimes a bad impression

I was writing Anonydoc about this zit I have up my nose killing me and I wanted to use an elegant word so I chose "papule"


GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting



failing to notice this

GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting

Yeah, real funny, bust a gut. I got internal nostril face pain for the last ten days and zero sympathy enough because the nose is trivial. "Mind if I squeeze the wheeze?"

No you can't squeeze the wheeze, it's about a 10 on the pain richter where the circle face springs tears.

Then she wrote back and didn't even correct me. And it was the shortest letter from her ever. That she was going to dinner with her sister.

Here it is:

I'm going to dinner with my sister.

She's probably going to write back, 'John, was that the word the doctor really used?'

No, I'll reply. And we'll both leave it at that.
Not, 'No, why do you ask?'
Just: "No."

There, now you see it's nice to have a blog, and be able to share this with so many people!

Couple of years ago I was going on about something earthy and was addressing Anony as one should address her, as a Southern Lady I mean, obliquely, and she shot back something like 'for heavens sake I'm a doctor!' (This was during the time I was still convinced she was Florence King ---I still half-suspect she is--- so that was a surprise.)

It took me two weeks to get her to tell me what kind of a doctor she is. She said I'd hate her if I knew.

I wrote "pshaw! haha. i mean, you're not a psychiatrist, are you? hahahaha! :-D"
___
This could be worse, I don't know...
_____
So today I went to the dermatologists at our University Clinic and let me tell you, man. Really, I'm gonna put this down so you pick it up, 'gate.

Those lady dermatologists are so pretty and vivacious and up-beat , eeeeee, they made me smile, and act in my best manners, and lower my voice to sound more manly, and do my best Sam Spade impression while I received compliments for my pasty complexion. (Mean Mr. Sun, you stay away from him!) They fixed my nose and and and checked my back for moles and they all just had such good genes, you know? One's name was Edison, so her genes especially. They scheduled me for the scalpel in three weeks but I didn't mind that.

You've heard of beauty school drop-outs, (there is indeed a song), so maybe these are beauty school PhDs? I wonder if they started in beauty school and someone informed them for the first time that they were especially bright.

They charged me a thousand dollars! I smiled, that's ok, I was expecting this to cost ten thousand dollars! (Actually, I was.)


___
I sign off not knowing what to make of this day. Off beat at work, feeling like a stranger there sometimes. During smoke breaks, I notice I'm sitting farther down the benches from my co-blings, just to think.

And this Dylan lyric came back to me today:

When I was in Missouri,
they would not let me be;
I had to leave there in a hurry
I only saw what they let me see;


But I'm the same everywhere, of course.

thanks for visiting!

this tasty post brought to you by...
GreatestJournal Free Photo Hosting
Remember, it's Chic!

8 Comments:

Blogger Trudging said...

The dictionary is a good thing!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Jackson said...

Yes, Mrs. Trudge. I haven't forgotten.

(folks, this is Mrs. Trudge, my fifth grade teacher, my absolute favorite for all time.)

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not going to be snide.

I am sorry I trivialized your, er, nose complaint.

John, noses make me ill. Just the thought of them, looking in them, makes me cringe. I never ever looked in noses, just pretended to. No telling how many people are walking around with big cancers and god knows what in their noses because I couldn't look. I can look in every other orifice but the nose.

That is my excuse and I am sticking to it. Is your nose well?

7:55 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

My beak? proboscis, snout, conk, hooter, schnozzle? Yes she is well. Swell.

actually it's like it isn't even there any more. No more pain!

Listen, I understand completely. You should bill me sometimes, the complaints I bring up. ...

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just don't say "nose" again.

You need a new skin complaint to see the beautiful dermatologists!

7:52 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

It's that word, and not, say, 'papule' that bothers you so much?

You are what we call up here a "character". We mean it very affectionatly of course.

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Papule makes me quesy. But the N-word makes me throw up. I don't like the V word {for throw up} much either. But the worst word of all is the A word for abscess. That one just creeps me out.

Actually I don't like many body words at all. But I love superego, metapsychological and words like that. They don't conjure up a body if you get my drift.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

We are spirit ! God is spirit

(i love realizing that)

bodies are gross. except heavenly ones.

heavenly ones are explosive super nova sometimes though!

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home